CAF Homepage

Sunday, August 22, 2010

77 mile Circle R Loop

Well here is it 8pm and about 7 hours after Group 3 finished our 77 mile Sunday CAF/MDC ride. There was plenty of climbing and the heat was in full effect. I tried to lay back and just have a good time for the first 56 miles and then push the pace for the final 21 miles from SAG #2 to Lomas Santa Fe. It seemed to work as planned with the exception of a few hills that I decided to push the pace a little but nothing crazy.
We had plenty of flats along the way today and I am guessing the number might be around 20 or so which is a lot I think. I was lucky and avoided all the mishaps along the way. Today there was no cloud cover at the coast as we rolled out at 7:15am and you could tell it was going to be a tough day in the saddle from the get go. I am guessing our group was a bit smaller then normal maybe 25 riders or so and I was towards the rear for the first 25 miles chatting it up with Mike Henderson and a few others.
The 2nd 1/3 of the ride there were some decent hills for climbing and I did move up a bit during the climbing phase of the ride. After getting to the 2nd SAG in Vista you could tell there was some carnage going on as people looked really tired and a few even dropped out. I actually felt pretty good and had a very good time in the heat just wish there was a bit more humidity and less dry air.
The final 1/3 of the ride was kind of the same as most Sundays as a small group of about 6 riders decided to take off and I felt pretty fresh since holding back the first 2/3 of the ride. Had a chance to chat with Brian and Adam afterwards with regards to fundraising and how to judge if one is a success or not. Seems we (scott & br cycling team) have our work cut out for us.
Sitting here my legs are actually pretty sore and I am pretty tired and hope to be sleeping by 9pm to get lots of rest before a busy week at work. I hope to make it to Fiesta Island tomorrow after work to log about 35 miles or so just to get ride of some leg stiffness, but we will see how work goes.
Well today was a different immunity challenge and we played spin the bottle, so just a random luck winner. Keith was the last one standing only to find out he had to gift the gift he just received to one of the remaining 6 riders. Keith decided to gift his immunity to Danielle who is a very good pick, she works hard on the email front sending and keeping everyone notified just what is going on. And I am guessing she is also the most improved rider going from a group 3 riders barely hanging on to the back of the pack to a group 3 riders hanging out in the front pack most of the time. So she is a very deserving immunity winner and I am sure she will do good things with the immunity helmet.
Well depending on work I am hoping to get in about 150 miles during the week and then about 60 on Saturday then another big one on Sunday. Let's just hope work is good to me and I can get out there a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment